Our designer/craftsman (aka son) has been super busy with a big job. Designing, tearing down and rebuilding a kitchen in Portland (swyftdesignworks.com).
He has moved windows, put doors in new places, installed arches, and made all the cabinets, shelves etc. etc…. Not your basic kitchen remodel.
Looking good! Almost done.
Meanwhile, back in Astoria, our little Victorian is waiting patiently for his return. It too will get a new kitchen!
Presently … our old kitchen is half torn up. Part of it had to be moved to the dining room area :). Still functional but awkward.
We have six interior and two exterior transoms. All of them have been boarded-up or painted over. We are re-building all of them and tracking down interesting windows to insert into the spaces.
We are trying to decide what type to install on the six interior transoms. Plain glass? Stained glass?
We took a trip to the Vintage Hardware Store in Astoria (great place btw) (https://www.facebook.com/astoriavintagehardware/). There we found a set of cabinet doors with leaded glass that we thought would work for our transoms. Unfortunately, they were too large.
We may have to go with some custom made stained/leaded glass inserts. Fortunately, there are a few stained glass places in Astoria!
As far as outside doors go… I found some photos online of beautiful Victorian style doors with transoms. Would these work? Build these ourselves? Stay tuned.
Well, house painting came earlier than I thought it would. We contacted a few painters and found one that has painted most of the houses in our neighborhood. He said he would put on his schedule for late Fall.
Surprise! We got a text that said he could start next week!
After scrambling to do some exterior work that was necessary before the painting, we were ready for him and his team to start.
The crew washed the house was first, scraped the sides after the house was dry, and then paint.
Wow! What a good coat of paint can do! Our neighbors are thrilled. We had many people stop by and say how great they thought the house looked. I think they were a little tired of looking out their windows and seeing the peeling white and gray exterior.
We discussed colors with the local Benjamin Moore paint dealer and our painter. The house is small so colors that would look good a larger house might not work on ours.
We explained that the look we were going for was “Adorable.” I think we succeeded!
Now, we need to get that awesome front door in place. What color should we paint it!?
It’s painting time!
Step one – power wash the house to loosen up old paint. We will wait a few days for the house to completely dry and then do some scraping and priming.
Final color choice… using Benjamin Moore Paints
Main house: Whipple Blue, Trim: Lancaster Whitewash, Accent color: Gingersnaps
= Adorable House
Can you spot the subtle difference? Photos have different accent colors. It’s Baked Cumin vs. Gingersnaps. Instagram vote favored Gingersnaps (on the left)
Note: Gray and white were the original colors although we found a mustard-yellow underneath.
Our designer decided to go with the classic, small black and white floor tile and white “subway” tile walls. Bathroom design and fixtures are comfortably modern.
Remember our upstairs floor plan? One old bedroom was turned into a LARGE bathroom by a previous owner. The new design is for two smaller (although good size) bathrooms including a master bath with a large shower…
Tiling in process! Looking good.
We bought our little Victorian because it had a number of original features… however, some things were missing and need to be replaced. The existing front door is a classic 1970’s modern Luan plywood door. Functional – but ugly (no other way to put it).
Our craftsman/carpenter/designer is always on the lookout for architectural wonders…
He found us a new door!
It’s a beauty – found at a street sale in Portland. Needs some work, but it’s exactly what we need. Yay!! Big plans to do something interesting with the glass part. Stay tuned.
We have wood floors (some kind of western fir tree) throughout the house. We decided to sand them all clean and put some kind of clear finish on them. Unfortunately, the upstairs floors had a couple coats of paint on them.
We rented a sander from the local hardware store and started the project. We went through oodles of sand paper! The paint just gummed it up! What was underneath was beautiful though.
The newly sanded floors being protected with Osmo Oil (http://www.ivyhillosmo.com/ ). These are all natural oil and wax based floor treatments. Worked great!